Benefits, Drawbacks, and Expert Installation with JPS Furnace & Air Conditioning As the temperature starts…
What are Frozen AC Coils and How Do I Fix it?
You might have heard the term “frozen coils” in reference to air conditioners, but many people are often confused by the term. More and more homeowners don’t understand what frozen AC coils are, how they impact your home comfort and most importantly, how to fix the problem and prevent it from happening in the future.
What are Frozen AC Coils?
Air conditioners are complex machines, and as result, there are numerous ways they can malfunction or break. One of the most common problems of cooling systems are frozen coils—when the coils that house the refrigerant in the outdoor unit ice over and prevent the cooling chemical from travelling any further.
How Do Frozen AC Coils Affect the Air Conditioner?
When condenser coils freeze up, you’ll know right away because your air conditioner will no longer work! Frozen coils are one of the most common reasons for malfunctioning air conditioners.
How Do I Fix Frozen AC Coils and Prevent the Problem From Reoccurring?
Fix Frozen AC Coils:
- Turn off the breaker to your outdoor unit and allow the coils to thaw naturally. Depending on the outside temperature and humidity, thawing could take up to 24 hours.
- Once thawed, remove any remaining moisture from the equipment before restoring power to the condenser.
- Turn on ONLY the blower or fan in the condenser to melt any additional ice clogging the coils.
- Once all ice has thawed, you can resume air conditioner operation as normal.
Prevent Frozen AC Coils:
- Change Air Filters—When filters get dirty and clogged, they restrict airflow and could cause your coils to freeze. Make sure you’re inspecting filters monthly and replacing as needed.
- Change Refrigerant—Frozen AC coils could be a result of low levels of refrigerant. While homeowners can easily inspect and replace air filters, please call a qualified air conditioner technician to inspect, refill or change refrigerant. There are certifications and health and safety risks to consider when working with refrigerant.
If you’re experiencing trouble with your air conditioner, contact us today to discuss the best course of action!
JPS Furnace & Air Conditioning is Calgary’s and Chestermere’s premier heating and cooling company. The secret to our success is focusing on complete customer satisfaction. Our uncompromising commitment to our customers’ satisfaction has been a foundation for our success and will continue to drive us in the future!