fbpx Skip to content
Call (587) 207-8487

Things You Need to Know About Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (or CO) is an odorless, invisible gas that can do lethal damage to anyone who breathes it in.  For such a deadly gas, it is far more common in our everyday lives than one would think.  Carbon monoxide is released into the air any time a car, truck, boat engine, stove, lantern, fireplace, or furnace ignites to produce power.  Much of our modern technology is based on these small to mid-sized combustion engines that produce carbon monoxide, so that means there are many opportunities for it to potentially build up indoors and poison any living thing that breathes it in.

Symptoms to Watch For

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most recognizable symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion
  • Flu-like symptoms

Breathing in a significant amount of carbon monoxide can render a person unconscious or even kill them.  People who are fast asleep or passed out can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before any noticeable symptoms occur.

How to Keep Yourself and Your Family Safe

This gas is a deadly and potentially unpredictable killer, so being prepared and protecting your home is the only sure way to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.  Have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home that runs on batteries or has a battery backup in case the power goes out.  The professionals who install it will make sure it is located somewhere it will wake you up if it sounds, like in the hall outside your bedroom.  It is also prudent to have every gas burning appliance in your home regularly inspected by a qualified professional heating technician. Any appliances that run on gas could be leaking if they smell, so contact a professional to come in and take a look.

Keep yourself and your loved ones safe by having a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home and your heating system checked and serviced by the licenced professionals at JPS Furnace and Air Conditioning.

Call 403-510-1204